Tremec TKO 600

Project M

Amateur Racer
May 10, 2004
Camano Island, Washington
2nd to 3rd gear shift problems.

Meat Drapes said:
Tuesday September 18.
Called Keisler today to ask about the 2nd - 3rd shift problem. I still seem to find that if I shift hard it will get stuck. Keisler has informed me that TREMEC had a 'problem' when they built the transmission with the internal rails and the 'dogs' that control all of this. ( poor parts procurement?)
So TREMEC is offering to replace the parts that cause the mis-shift. I am in the process of getting them the ID tag info off of the transmission so they can make a determination on how to proceed.

Keisler has also offered to go through my transmission at no cost to me if its determined that the noise I have been complainng about is internal and not something like a throwout bearing or pilot bearing.
All very interesting.

I also have the 2nd to 3rd gear shift problem only when power shifting. I hit that "blank spot" so hard I broke the cross shaft in the Hurst Shifter that comes with the TKO 600. So it's an internal problem with the trans ? I just bought a PRO 5.0 shifter to replace the broken Hurst. I have read alot of good feedback on the PRO 5.0 shifter. And was hoping it would solve my 2 to 3 shifting problems. I gotta tell ya. I wont be too happy if I have to tear my transmission apart when it's only got a 1,000 miles on it: :(

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Well I have contacted TTC Automotive about the TREMEC. I talked to a guy named Jeff. He asked a bunch of questions for thier database about my setup and what my problems were. Then he took my personal info and said they were going to send me the new shift dogs for the rails.
As far as labor for reimbursment, well I messed that one up for myself. During our conversation I had mentioned that I might be removing my transmission to send it to Keisler and he mentioned what a great time to fix mine while it was out as I was prepping it for shipment.

TTC Automotive: 1-800-401-9866 (1),(1) to get to tech support. Ask for Jeff or Hal and let them know you have a 2nd to 3rd shift problem under load.

Be prepared to give them all of the info off of the tag attached to the rear of the transmission... its just like a posi tag ( stamped ) , its on the tailshaft bolt on the right side.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
My Keisler Summary

I have reread this thread and should note that some of my jabs at Keisler were either from impatience or ignorance.
Let me set the record straight here: Kesler Engineering has bent over backwards from the start to make this right for me. In my haste to get my car on the road I have bashed them here and there. I am wrong.
I would buy from them again. The product is excellent and the customer service has been good. For whatever reason they were unable to continue the G-Body kit I was still able to make it work for me and I absolutly LOVE IT!! It might be a little cobbled together but it works and works well.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Finally put a drive shaft loop on.
Went to the track and upon launch the damn drive shaft hits it. Shifting into second and third...same thing.
Made one bad pass 12.48 @ 113.

The TKO 600 sits lower then the Saginaw did and Keisler sent aluminum extensions to lower the driveshaft strap. I used them for the loop... guess its not low enough or the crossmember has too much flex.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Went back to the track to try and get that 11 second run. This was a Center Force Dual Friction. This is what I got:

454%20Late%20Summer%20049.jpg

454%20Late%20Summer%20055.jpg

454%20Late%20Summer%20060.jpg

454%20Late%20Summer%20061.jpg

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Since the transmission is out, I boxed it and sent it back to Keisler for a check-up.
I received all of the shift-dogs from TTC ( TREMEC) and put them in the box so Keisler can install all of that stuff.
I am going to go with Center Force again. This time I am going to try thier
DFX clutch. I am also going to go with a billet steel flywheel. The nodular iron one is just too weak.
According to Center Force, the pressure plate I have that was smoked is still in good enough shape and is a direct fit for the DFX clutch disk. All I have to do is sand blast the glaze off of the face. Not sure whats going to happen with all of that as I have already sent everything back to Summit.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!