Tremec TKO 600

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
beachbum29 said:
...and you'll only have to watch the holes for ovaling instead of worrying about that bracket snapping..

Or, you could get the Speed Direct kit clutch rod replacement kit ($70) :)

http://www.speeddirect.com

Replaces the original rods with bolt-in tubular ones with spherical ends so you don't have to worry about that anymore :D

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
What oil does your transmission specify? My '00 Civic Si trans used to do the same thing when it was cold. Those trannies take 10W40. When I did the first fluid change on the trans I put in 1/2 quart of Slick 50. Never had a problem after that.

Tommy

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Oil for the transmission specified is the GM synchromesh. I am not worried about the 3rd gear shift. Its so minor and goes away once the transmission warms up.
I am sure the shift dogs will loosen after I go through the gears a few hundred times.
What concerns me is the clutch feel. Its not the clutch itself but the pedal.
It is not street friendly. I am going to seriously consider a hydraulic throwout bearing now. That would bring my car back to reality. Maybe I need to lube all of the linkage a little or something, it just feels UGLY.

beachbum29

Frequent Racer
Dec 20, 2004
Upstate, N.Y.
yeah, that bracket that bolts with the 3 screws.. if you double them up, weld them together, and put in longer bolts/screws, it holds up alot better.. I snapped on with a stiff clutch.. spherical ends sound good too! maybe you should contact the clutch company and ask how stiff it should be?

James Bond

Dragway Regular
Dec 26, 2005
Earth
Doober said:
beachbum29 said:
...and you'll only have to watch the holes for ovaling instead of worrying about that bracket snapping..

Or, you could get the Speed Direct kit clutch rod replacement kit ($70) :)

http://www.speeddirect.com

Replaces the original rods with bolt-in tubular ones with spherical ends so you don't have to worry about that anymore :D

been looking for some of these, thanks

A

Anonymous

if your trans feels real tight and your clutch is very stiff feeling i would check if the clutch is releasing all the way and i would check to see if the bell housings dialed in sounds like a clutch prob to me

just my 2cents

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
I dialed the bell in. It was within spec for TREMEC. I think maybe the throwout bearing is hanging on something.... it just does not engage smooth. I can see it 'stutter' as I push the clutch in. If you look through the hole where the clutch fork enters the bellhousing and watch as the clutch is depressed and released you can see it.
The trans is tight because I had all new shift dogs installed and its got a bunch of new parts. It just needs to be broke in again.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
I pulled the transmission again today. Found some galling on the clutch fork where it meets the throwout bearing. Pulled out the nasty bronze pilot bushing and will replace it with the appropriate needle bearing. Clutch and all surfaces look ok. Few hot spots here and there, could be high spots on the metal of the floater plate. They are all very small and insignificant.
I really do not want to put the mechanical linkage back in. But I dont want to spend for the hydraulic just yet either. But then again I dont want to pull this out again later. I thknk I can remove this transmission in my sleep now.
I think tomorrow I will see about having the flywheel balanced...just to be sure since its out. Might be a good idea...not sure where I heard that from.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
I still have all of the original mech stuff. I think I am going to just get it all back in again, put a little grease where the fork and throwout bearing mate up to ease the galling and make a few other 'adjustments'. I have already removed a shim on the throwout bearing to see if that will ease the pedal by altering the angle the fork engages, maybe it helps.
I just dont think I can get into a big ordeal with a new hyd setup. I have orders and will be moving in March, dont need to start any project right now.
At least nothing that could bog me down.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!